- TRACKS includes 56 previously unreleased masters, many of which were recorded during the BORN IN THE U.S.A. and THE RIVER sessions, as well as ten B-sides.
- Personnel includes: Bruce Springsteen, Miami Steve Van Zandt, Clarence Clemons, Roy Bittan, Garry Tallent, Max Weinberg, Danny Federici, Nils Lofgren.
- Includes liner notes by Bruce Springsteen.
- All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
- This handsomely packaged box set goes a long way towards illuminating the darker corners of Springsteen's recording career. Apparently, almost every time the Boss went into the studio he recorded more songs than he could possibly fit onto a record, and most of those extra tracks languished in obscurity. The four-disc TRACKS aims to change that. The amazing thing about the never-before-heard material here (and the little-known b-sides also included) is that most of the songs are just as impressive as the ones ultimately chosen to go on Springsteen's albums. Spanning various phases of his career, the selections chronicle Springsteen's journey from Dylan-inspired folk-poet to funky working class hero to larger-than-life rock icon, and each era is given a new coat of paint via the previously unreleased songs that represent it. Of special note is the innovative manner in which the package itself was put together, the box folding out to reveal a four-cornered tapestry of candid Springsteen photographs that pull out to expose the four glorious discs underneath.
Entertainment Weekly (11/13/98, pp.72-73) - "...for all TRACKS' padding, it is disarming to hear rock delviered with such unbridled earnestness and positive energy, gleefully drunk on its own power to elevate musicians and audiences alike...." - Rating: B
Q (1/00, p.87) - Included in Q Magazine's "50 Best Albums of 1999."