1. Examination of the Newborn: Where Are We Now?
2. In the Beginning: The Context of Parenthood
3. The Development of the Fetus: Assessment of Wellbeing
4. Intrapartum Events and Neonatal Consequences
5. The Neonatal Examination
6. Abnormal Findings and Congenital Abnormalities
7. Accountability and Effective Care
Helen Baston is Consultant Midwife: Public Health at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, UK, a Supervisor of Midwives and Honorary Lecturer/Researcher at the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University, UK. Heather Durward is Associate Specialist in Paediatrics at Chesterfield Royal Hospital Foundation Trust, UK, and an international instructor teaching on a range of programmes for the UK and European Resuscitation Councils.