Foreword to the New Edition by Paul A. Volcker.
Foreword to the First Edition by Paul Tudor Jones II.
PART ONE: THEORY
1. Reflexivity in the Stock Market.
2. Reflexivity in the Currency Market.
3. The Credit and Regulatory Cycle.
PART TWO: HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE.
4. The International Debt Problem.
5. The Collective System of Lending.
6. Reagan's Imperial Circle.
7. Evolution of the Banking System.
8. The "Oligopolarization" of America.
PART THREE: THE REAL-TIME EXPERIMENT.
9. The Starting Point: August 1985.
10. Phase 1: August 1985-December 1985.
11. Control Period: January 186-July 1986.
12. Phase 2: July 1986-November 1986.
13. The Conclusion: November 1986.
PART FOUR: EVALUATION.
14. The Scope for Financial Alchemy: An Evaluation of the Experiment.
15. The Quandary of the Social Sciences.
PART FIVE: PRESCRIPTION.
16. Free Markets Versus Regulation.
17. Toward an International Central Bank.
18. The Paradox of Systemic Reform.
19. The Crash of '87.
George Soros is unquestionably the most powerful and profitable investor in the world today. Dubbed by BusinessWeek as "The Man Who Moves Markets," Soros once made a billion dollars by betting that the British pound would be devalued. Soros is not merely a man of finance, but a thinker to reckon with as well. In The Alchemy of Finance, this extraordinary man reveals the investment strategies that have made him "a superstar among money managers"(The New York Times). GEORGE SOROS is Chairman of Soros Fund Management, which serves as the principal investment advisor to the multibillion-dollar Quantum Group of Funds. Soros's flagship, Quantum Fund, is recognized as the most successful investment fund ever, returning an average 31 percent annually for more than thirty years. Soros has been an important philanthropist since 1979. His charitable foundations are active in more than fifty countries and spend nearly half a billion dollars each year to support projects in education, public health, civil society development, human rights, and many other areas.
"...contains a detailed description of his trading methods and repays careful reading." (Investors Chronicle, 1st April 2005)
"...these updated classics are packed with investment wisdom..." (What Investment, November 2003)